I love glazed ham. It’s an easy meal to make and there are always plenty of leftovers. This Cuban Sandwich is one way to use up the leftovers. Though I cut a corner or two when making this sandwich (didn’t use Cuban bread), nonetheless, it still tastes great.
- 2 “Hoagie” Rolls
- 3 tbs Mayonnaise
- 1 tbs brown mustard
- 4 slices of pickles (such as the Vlasic Kosher Dill Stackers)
- Enough thin slices of ham to cover one side of the hoagie
- 1/4 lbs of Swiss Cheese
- Mix the mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl.
- Spread this mixture on the insides of the hoagie.
- Using the photo below as a guide, slice enough ham to cover one side of the hoagie.
- Place two slices of pickle on top.
- Then cover the other side with swiss cheese.
- Spread a light coating of butter on the outside of the hoagie.
- If you have a sandwich press, follow its instructions.
- If you do not have a sandwich press, you will need two pans. A very large one to grill the sandwiches in and another one to place on top of the sandwiches. Cast iron pans are ideal because of their weight.
- Place the sandwiches in the large pan, place a smaller one on top and press down to squish the sandwiches.
- Grill at a low heat for several minutes on each side. Essentially you want to grill/brown the bread a bit and you want the cheese to melt.