This is incredibly easy to make and absolutely delicious. No special skills are needed for making this dish. The quantities for the ingredients are rough figures…a little more…a little less…couldn’t hurt. At the end of the recipe I offer a few obvious substitutions that can be made for some of the ingredients. Preparation and cooking time for this dish is approximately one hour.
- Approximately 8 very thinly sliced chicken breasts
- About eight thin slices of eggplant (I prefer no skin on the eggplant so I remove it prior to slicing)
- About 1/4 pound of smoked ham
- 6-8 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Your favorite tomato sauce
The ingredients for this dish are layered so you’ll saute the chicken, lay it in the bottom of an oven-safe dish, then the lay the eggplant over it, then the ham and then the cheese.
1. Season the flour with pepper (add salt if you like).
2. Flour the chicken breasts and sauté using your preferred oil. (I’ll often use olive oil but it can burn so it needs to be watched.)
3. Using the same pan, flour the eggplant and sauté. The eggplant turns soft and translucent it is done.
4. Again, using the same pan, lightly sauté the ham.
Bake in oven at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Two obvious substitutions are veal instead of chicken and prosciutto instead of ham. Since this is the first time I’ve made this, the next time around I’ll use veal and prosciutto. For more variety, this recipe for Chicken Sorrentino uses marsala wine, white wine and mushrooms.